Friday, April 19, 2013

beat of my heart.

day 44. beat of my heart. by hilary duff.



i first heard this song 7 years ago when it played on the disney channel during the premiere of the first high school musical. i'm going to save you the trouble of figuring out the math and just tell you that i was 21, and yes, watching the disney channel.

my first thought was - "i can't believe she's dating joel madden." and then, "gosh i love this girl." and then "this song is special." i've always loved hilary duff. she's a classy lady, and so stinkin cute - i mean have you ever SEEN Casper meets Wendy? (as i write this, i'm thinking most of you haven't). also, she played lizzie mcquire and married a canadian hockey player. i love her life.

i forgot about the song at the time, but it came back to me later on that year and has not left my head since. it was my dance party song - dance parties were my official way of dealing with stress when i was in college. at times they were in my pjs alone. at other times, they involved costumes and choreographed moves. and yes, maybe they helped me be "less stressed," but they were more an elaborate ruse to procrastinate.

miss duff's feel good song then merged into my pick me up song. i was feeling upset one day and this song came on and i decided. "NO. i am not feeling bad about myself for one second longer." to this day it is always the song i put on when i am ready to tell myself. "pick up the pieces. do your hair. put on some pretty lipstick. face the world. and live your life."

when i applied to my current job, i stated that this song was the theme song to my life. they must have liked that about me, because here i am. and it's completely possible that me watching hsm on a Friday night when i was 21 years old and should have been out on the town, has made a major impact on my life, and who would have known?  i always wonder what my theme song would have been otherwise, and how i might be sitting here writing about the pussycat dolls or danity kane because that was all my roommate listened to. yikes.

0 comments: