Monday, March 11, 2013

daydream believer

day 5. daydream believer. by the monkees.



when I was 5 years old I was in LOVE with the Monkees. as in planned my entire day around watching their tv show. proof positive that brown eyed, singing hippies, with shaggy hair have always made me swoon. I called Davy Jones from my fisher price phone every night before bed, and their greatest hits record was THE first album I ever owned.

then one day, my brother ruined my life and told me that Davy, Mickey, Peter, and Mike were in fact being shown in tv repeats, and were actually older than my parents and I freaked out. direct quote from my mouth - “it’s not right, it’s not right. it can’t be right.” I was legitimately traumatized that I had been in love with a group of 40 year old guys. around this same time my hair turned from blonde to brown. I don’t know what this means, but I’m pretty sure the two go hand in hand. end scene & I was completely done with all things Monkees for at least 5 years.

then at age 10, I was sitting at a local fair when some chick got up to sing Daydream Believer, and I couldn’t get it out of my head. I went home, found all my tapes, started using my parents’ record player and I haven’t looked back since. say what you will about their talent, but I promise you I could introduce you to some Monkees jams that you would adore.

when I finally got to see Davy Jones in person, he sang Daydream Believer and I cried. then a few years later, I met him, almost puked, and cried again.

0 comments: